Disneyland’s Mickey Mouse Beignets
Published: February 14, 2019
- ½ tsp. dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water, (105 degrees F)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup boiling water
- vegetable oil for frying
- powdered sugar
- honey butter
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to ¼-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2½ to 3-inch squares.
- Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
- Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately. You can also spread some honey butter on them if you would like.
Makes: 10 large Mickey Mouse-shaped fritters or 2 dozen small fritters